Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm registered! And I'm Dutch, so there's no going back!

Last week's runs were hard for me. And I was disappointed with how difficult they were, as this is only week three. If I'm wimping out on a three-minute run, how will I ever manage five minutes? Ten? Twenty? An actual 5k?

Although I trained for ten weeks last time and at one point actually ran the distance for a 5k in the rec center at OU, I never actually ran a 5k road race. I finished my training in late November, just a week too late for all the Turkey Trot races in the area. And then the holidays happened and what I suspect was my thyroid issue reared its ugly head and I essentially quit.

Friday, after I finished my last run of the week, I felt terribly discouraged. I was sure I would quit again, that I'd be unable to make it through a long run at some point and just give up, or wimp out and repeat weeks, stretching my training out ad infinitum.

Then two things happened. First, I checked out a blog I like to read. Carrie at redhairedgirl was my original source for the C25k program. Her story is amazing. Two year ago, she was struggling with her weight and wanted to make some changes to be healthier. She started the C25k program at (I think) nearly 250 pounds. Now she's down 120 pounds and is training for a marathon and has guns that should be licensed. Seriously, check out her arms. She's ripped!

I went back in her archives and read few the first few weeks of her training. She felt the same way I did, and didn't give up. And look at her now! One thing Carrie did was register for and run a 5k when she was only seven weeks into the C25k. She ran slowly, but she ran it, and the promise of that race coming up helped her get through those difficult weeks of training where the running lengths were mounting.

So the other thing that happened was I registered for this Lawrence 5k run. It's April 19, when I'm not quite done with my training, but if Carrie could do it, so can I, by golly. It cost $25 to register, so the frugal Dutchwoman in me won't forfeit the entry fee by quitting. And I've discovered that a couple people I know are running this, too, so the thought of embarrassing myself with a geriatrically slow pace will keep me motivated, too.

So! April 19! Mark your calendars for the day of my impending humiliation!

No comments: