Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Why Running?

I've had a couple of people ask why I'm running. Usually this question comes after I make one of my standard remarks about how running is "gross," or "insane," or "not designed for humans to do" etc. I don't enjoy running--that much is true. But I have my reasons for choosing this form of exercise.

First off, I have to say that I don't think it's all that unusual to dislike running. In fact, I think it's normal. I know there are people out there who maintain that they enjoy running. My theory is that these people are not, in fact, people. They are aliens. Or robots. Or robotic aliens.

So I dislike running. Why, then, am I running to get back in shape?

For one, running is a pretty easy form of exercise. It doesn't require a ton of equipment: running shoes will do it for most people. 50.5% of the population also benefits from the use of a sports bra. And that's it. I know you can spend a lot of money on fancy accessories and gear, but those things are optional. All I need to run is already in my possession.

Running can also be done just about anywhere. I don't need a swimming pool, an elliptical trainer, a mountain side, a ski slope. I can step outside my front door and be ready to go.

Running can also be done at any time, in almost any weather. I usually choose to run during the day to make myself visible, but I know lots of people who are night-runners. And although I prefer to run in temperatures ranging between 45-75 degrees fahrenheit, I could theoretically run in colder or warmer temps. Perhaps an ice storm wouldn't be the best time to run, but then there's always the indoor track or treadmill.

Finally, running seems to be one of the most efficient ways to exercise. Maximum results in a relatively short time period. I know there are concerns about the long-term effects of running on joints, and that certain forms of exercise (like swimming) are lower-impact, but swimming requires gear and access to a pool. Running, right now, is easier.

But I think the real reason I'm running is this: Have you seen my kids? I look at them and I realize that I want to live forever, or at least as long as I can, so I can be part of their lives as long as possible.

No comments: